This is a SAVORY adzuki bean soup, in case its dessert counterpart puts too much strain on your taste buds. Yes, it takes a long time to prepare, but the wait is worth it.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
Yields: 4 servings
- 3 cups dried azuki beans
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 lime or small wedge of yuzu fruit, juiced
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 bunch Japanese greens, like Shungiku leaves, Mizuna, your choice!
1. Soak beans in cold water overnight.
2. Drain beans and add to crockpot along with olive oil, ginger, garlic, onion, and cumin. Cover with 2 quarts of water and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until beans are tender.
3. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add lime juice and cilantro prior to serving.