Prep Time: 10 minutes
Yields: 2¼ cups
Ponzu, or citrus flavored soy sauce, is a simple yet flavorful sauce. It is perfectly salty and tangy without being overpowering. Ponzu can be used as an alternative for soy sauce when eating sashimi or even sushi. Try it also as a base for vinaigrettes or as a sauce for steamed dumplings. For best results, use a hand held juicer to extract the fresh juice from lemons, limes and grapefruits as well as some of the pulp.
- 1 cup Japanese style soy sauce
- 1 cup fresh citrus juice (an equal mixture of lemon, lime and grapefruit works best)
- ¼ cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons bonito flakes (optional)
- In a plastic container, combine all ingredients.
- Store covered in a cool dark place for 24 hours.
- Strain the sauce through a fine mesh sieve or cheesecloth, discarding any citrus pulp solids and bonito flakes.
- Store for 2 months in refrigerator.
- Bring to room temperature before use.