Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yields: 6-8 servings
Cleanse your palate at the end of the meal with some green tea icecream scoops. First time you take a scoop, you'll be refreshed with all the flavor!
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 9 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons green tea powder
1. Combine cream, half-and-half, and vanilla bean in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally to make sure the mixture doesn't scorch on the bottom. When the cream mixture reaches a fast simmer (do not let it boil), set aside to infuse for 10 to 15 minutes.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar. Whisking constantly, slowly pour the still-hot mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Return the mixture to the saucepan and continue to cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. (Note: at 160 degrees, the mixture will give off a puff of steam. When the mixture reaches 180 degrees, it will be thickened and creamy).
3. Test the temperature of the mixture by dipping a wooden spoon into the mixture. Run your finger down the back of the spoon. If the stripe remains clear, the mixture is ready. If edges blur, the mixture is not thick enough yet.
4. Once the mixture is ready, quickly remove it from the heat whisk in the green tea.
5. Fill a large bowl with ice water and strain the mixture into a smaller bowl to smooth it. Remove the vanilla bean and rest the smaller bowl in ice water, allowing the mixture to cool. Stir often.