Prep Time: 10 minutes
Yields: 1 maki, or 5 pieces of sushi
Pickled okra is the star of this vegetable roll. Try substituting your favorite pickled vegetable for variations of this roll.
- 1 x 4in x 7in piece nori
- about ½ cup prepared sushi rice
- 2 blanched green beans
- small pinch of matchstick cut carrots
- 1 large pickled okra, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 thin strips of red bell pepper
- 1 tsp finely chopped scallion
- ½ tsp toasted sesame seeds
- wasabi, optional
- pickled ginger, optional
- soy sauce for dipping, optional
- Place nori vertically, rough side facing upwards, on a bamboo rolling mat.
- Using wet hands, spread prepared sushi rice evenly on the bottom ⅔ of the nori.
- Place scallions and sesame seeds in a line across the center of the rice.
- Place okra halves end to end in the center of the rice.
- It’s okay if the ends extend past the roll as this makes a nice presentation.
- Top with green beans and red bell pepper strips, being sure that all ingredients extend the length of the sushi roll.
- Using the bamboo rolling mat, roll nori over the top of the ingredients until you have a rolled cylinder.
- Allow roll to set seam side down on cutting surface for 2 minutes before cutting into 5 pieces.
- Serve with pickled ginger, wasabi and soy sauce for dipping if desired.