Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Yields: 2-3 servings
Although commonly known as an appetizer, this popular dish can also be served as a main course. NOTE: If you want a thicker batter, use less ice water.
- 3 cups flour
- 1½ cups cornstarch
- 1½ cups crushed ice
- 3 eggs
- a pinch of salt
- 4 thin slices of carrot
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 2 whole green onions
- 1 sweet potato, sliced
- 2 shiitake mushroom caps
- 4 large tail-on shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups oil
Dipping sauce Edit
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1½ teaspoon sherry
- 1½ teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a bowl, combine dipping sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Place oil in a deep fat fryer or heavy saucepan.
- Heat until a deep fry thermometer registers 375°F (190°C).
- In a mixing bowl, sift together flour and cornstarch.
- Add eggs, ice, club soda, and a pinch of salt.
- Pull together, but do not mix completely.
- Dip vegetables and shrimp into the flour mixture and coat evenly.
- Carefully drop items into the fryer and cook until golden.
- Allow shrimp and vegetables to cool on a piece of paper towel in order to remove excess oil.
- Serve with prepared dipping sauce.