Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yields: About 8 cups
Great sushi rice is the foundation of great sushi. The carefully followed steps of preparation should yield sufficiently seasoned, toothsome grains that are high in gloss and easily separated yet simultaneously sticky.
- 4 cups California short grain rice
- 4 cups minus 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- Wash before cooking the rice, place in a medium sized bowl and swish with cold water at least 4 times to remove the excess starches.
- Rinse place rice in strainer and rinse thoroughly with cold water.
- Drain allow rice to drain in strainer for 10 minutes.
- Steam place rice and measured water in a rice cooker.
- Start a timer or make note of the time as rice is done after exactly 40 minutes.
- Marinate while the rice cooks, mix the vinegar, sugar and salt in a small plastic or glass bowl.
- Set aside.
- Do not heat to dissolve sugar and do not refrigerate.
- After rice is cooked, turn onto a large plastic or wooden cutting board making sure to omit any browned parts.
- With a wet wooden spoon, gently toss the rice with the vinegar mixture.
- Toss well ensuring that each grain is dressed.
- Cool allow rice to cool to room temperature.
- Cover with a damp, lint-free kitchen towel or paper towel.