Yields: 4 servings
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 ounce (10 grams) dried, ready-to-use wakame
- 2 Japanese cucumbers
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon slivered fresh gingerroot (optional)
- 1 medium-sized carrot, cut into long strips
1. Stir the vinegar, sugar, and soy sauce together until the sugar is dissolved. (Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. 3 or 4 days is better if you have time.)
2. Cover and soak the wakame in cold water until it softens, about 5 minutes.
3. While the wakame is soaking, slice the cucumbers into very thin rounds.
4. Drain the wakame and set it aside briefly.
5. Soak the sliced cucumbers in the salt-seasoned water for 5 minutes.
6. Drain the cucumbers, gently squeezing out any excess moisture.
7. Toss the softened wakame and cucumbers with one-fourth of the dressing. Repeat this step for the other three servings.
8. Add chopped carrot and mix.
9. Drizzle the salad with a little more dressing and garnish with slivered gingerroot (optional).
10. Serve chilled or at room temperature.